The October installment of Pick My Next Bottle focuses on Cabernet Sauvignon from the 2005 vintage. As I mentioned in the first installment, the purpose of this series is to provide insight into specific wines or producers you may currently have in your cellar. I plan on opening the winning bottle this Thursday and will publish a Bottle Note shortly thereafter.
2005 was a great vintage in Napa Valley, Washington and Bordeaux. The wines I have chosen all have a track record for aging exceptionally well and should be in great spot now and for years to come.
- 2005 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon – The 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon emerges from the red soils of the eastern foothills of Oakville. The wine has gorgeously pure blackberry and cassis fruit with a touch of underlying earth and spice box, medium to full-bodied flavors, and seamless integration of acidity, wood, alcohol and tannin. Once again, it provides a gorgeous freshness, precision and stunning youthfulness, despite being ten years of age. Drink through 2035. 94 points from the Wine Advocate.
- 2005 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon – From a hot vintage and incredible any way you look at it, the 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon has that laser-like focus of a cooler year, yet the voluptuousness and richness of a warmer year. Smoked black fruits, coffee, truffle and pen ink-like aromas and flavors all emerge from this massive, incredibly full-bodied effort and on the palate, it carries itself perfectly with a weightless, yet decadent texture, masses of polished tannin and blockbuster length. 100 points from the Wine Advocate.
- 2005 Leoville Poyferre – Léoville Poyferré’s dense ruby/purple 2005 is soft, round and juicy, with lots of blackcurrant fruit, plum and Asian spice. It is medium to full-bodied and, along with Léoville Las Cases and Saint-Pierre, probably one of the best St.-Juliens I tasted in this retrospective. It is surprisingly supple and accessible. 93 points from the Wine Advocate.
Which Cabernet Sauvignon from the 2005 Vintage Should I Open?
- 2005 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon (36%, 12 Votes)
- 2005 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon (33%, 11 Votes)
- 2005 Leoville Poyferre (30%, 10 Votes)
Total Voters: 33
Thanks for voting! I’d love to see a comment below on why you picked one bottle over another. Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for the November installment of Pick My Next Bottle.
4 thoughts on “Pick My Next Bottle – 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Showdown”
Just went with my gut but bet the Quilceda Creek is really singing now.
Thanks for chiming in and good luck in the WS although I don’t think you’ll need it.
I usually vote for the underdog but since they don’t hand out 100 pt reviews everyday I went with the Quilceda Creek. Thank you as always Tom and keep up the great work.
Thank you Doug!